Veterinary Technician or Assistant wanted for hospital in Buckhead area. Applicant must have experience. This is a great opportunity to be a part of building a great team. This hospital practices progressive medicine. We are AAHA accredited. No Boarding or Grooming. Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital is a drug free work place. A preemployment drug test is required. Please contact (404) 812-9880. More information about our hospital and employment application can be found under the employment section of our website www.peachtreehillsvet.com. Please fax or email resume and application to (404) 812-1818 or firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION SUMMARY: Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital’s Veterinary Technician is our specialist in patient treatment, nursing and client communication. The purpose of this position is to perform patient treatment and nursing care while preforming technical procedures. This position providing support to co-workers, i.e., Receptionists, Veterinary Technicians and DVMs.
These service functions include:
• Technical Duties – collects and performs routine laboratory procedures, dispenses medications, takes radiographs, and assists in surgery, as needed.
• Patient-Treatment – prepares and administers medication and vaccines.
• Patient Nursing – monitor anesthesia, assist in surgery, and performs temperatures, pulse rates, and respiratory rates, and monitor patient conditions,
• Medical Records – makes notes in patient files of phone or in-person conversations,
• General Laboratory Tests and Inputting Data – accurately perform laboratory blood work and record electronic medical data.
• Communication – assist answering the phone by the third ring, obtain and record patient histories and treatment, accurately relays patient information, and educates clients.
• Routine Procedures – kennel duty, perform venipunctures, nail trims, suture removal, ear cleanings, anal glands, and fluid therapy
• Receiving Client Payments- posting & recording payments, receiving payment, running end of day transaction register
• Walking dogs and Carrying cat carriers – to the rooms and also from the back to front and vice versa. KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, & ABILITIES:
• High School/General Education Degree is required, associate degree a plus.
• Strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, the ability to remain calm under pressure, work independently, and accept direction.
• Excellent people skills, i.e., friendly, outgoing, compassionate, and active team member.
• Excellent verbal and written communication. • Proficient computer skills (beginner to intermediate in Word).
• Ability to properly lift 50 pounds
• Knowledge regarding federal, state, and clinic laws, regulations, and policy, i.e., OSHA, DEA, etc.
• One to two years job experience working at a veterinary practice preferred.
1. Perform essential responsibilities as define in Veterinary Assistant job description.
2. Perform essential responsibilities as defined in Veterinary Receptionist job description.
3. Collects specimens and performs routine hematology, chemistry, serology laboratory procedures, smears, cultures, and flotations.
4. Performs routine procedures, i.e., nail trims, ear cleanings, anal glands, administration of fluids and suture removal.
5. Calculate dosages, dispense and administer medications, vaccines, and treatments as prescribed by DVM.
7. Provides nursing care for patients throughout the day and report any abnormalities or concerns to co-workers and/or DVMs.
8. Prepares patients, instruments and equipment for surgery. Monitors patient during surgery and recovery.
9. Maintains logs, i.e., surgery, controlled-substance and patient.
10. Communicates and educates owner on products, foods, routine procedures, i.e., spay/neuter, dental cleanings, and preventative healthcare.
11. Handle emergency situations by following established hospital policies and procedures for immediate treatment of client’s animal(s).
12. Assures that testing, monitoring and support equipment, i.e., anesthetic machines, blood, x-ray, is calibrated and in safe and prime operating condition.
13. Performs kennel duties, i.e., cleaning.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
ADA PHYSICAL EFFORT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job:
• Finger Dexterity - Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
• Talking - Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Average Hearing - Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
• Repetitive Motion - Movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
• Average Visual Abilities - Average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
• Physical Strength –Active most of the time, ie., bending, squatting and on feet most of the day. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally.
WORK ENVIROMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.
MENTAL ACTIVIES & REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
• Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed & involved instructions in often a stressful environment. Problems may involve a few variables.
• Mathematics Ability - Ability to perform math skills including adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing two digit numbers; the four basic arithmetic operations with money; and operations with units such as ounce, pound, (metric counterparts, i.e., kg, mg).
• Language Ability - Ability to use active vocabulary (in English); read; and define unfamiliar words.
• Communication - Ability to communicate in English with complex sentences, using normal word order with present and past tenses and good vocabulary.