Scope of Position: To perform and oversee all veterinary services for PAWS shelter pets
Maximize the use of clinic resources to ensure animal resident health. To provide medical care as well as humane care and treatment to all animals in accordance with the policies and procedures established by PAWS Atlanta.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work collaboratively with other Directors, Managers and Staff.
2. Diagnose and treat medical conditions in all PAWS animals. Follow progress of all patients placed on treatment, keeping records of all treatments and final outcomes
3. Direct, conduct and evaluate treatment plans, disease control measures, and hands-on medical treatment and progress of animals housed at the shelter including but not limited to:
a. vaccination protocols
b. nutrition and feeding protocols
c. parasite control measures
d. housing and sanitation
e. treatment protocols for routine infectious diseases
f. preventative medicine procedures
g. emergency evaluation, treatment and procedures
h. Develop, conduct and monitor medical program protocols and procedures.
i. Direct and conduct spay / neuter, vaccination and dental program. Supervise all aspects of the procedures including anesthesia and post-operative care of the patient.
j. Oversee the scheduling of outside veterinary resources for procedures not available at PAWS. The Veterinarian will decide what treatments or procedures are needed in coordination with other Managers as appropriate.
1. Graduate of an accredited school of veterinary medicine or equivalent.
2. Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Georgia.
4. Ability to conduct high quality surgical sterilizations in a fast paced environment.
5. Must have a valid driver’s license.
6. Acquire and possess a thorough understanding of and dedication to the philosophies of animal welfare and the humane treatment of animals.
About PAWS Atlanta PAWS Atlanta is the oldest and one of the very few, no-kill animal shelters in Georgia. Founded in 1966, we have placed more than 46,000 homeless animals into permanent, loving homes. Our mission is to build a community of caring by people helping pets and pets helping people. We operate a veterinary clinic for the public, as well as, offer pet adoption services, a pet food bank and summer camps for kids.