Managing Veterinarian | Forest Glen Animal Hospital | Chicago
Forest Glen Animal Hospital
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full Time
DVM or equivalent
Internal Number: 17355
Forest Glen Animal Hospital is looking for a Full time Managing Veterinarian to join our growing, full-service, small animal hospital located in Chicago, IL!
The Medical Director / Managing Veterinarian is primarily responsible for providing medical leadership for the hospital, managing associate veterinarians, and ensuring regulatory compliance relating to the practice of veterinary medicine. The Managing Veterinarian is also responsible for creating an environment of teamwork in which quality medicine and exceptional client service are consistently delivered to our clients and their pets.
Additionally, the Managing Veterinarian is expected to partner with the Hospital Manager to drive financial performance and general operations of the hospital and to more broadly cultivate a supportive and collaborative team environment. This hospital-level team is supported by their northern Illinois-based Divisional Leadership who provides practice management training, reporting, and ongoing resources to develop a best in class hospital. The hospital is one of many that report into this northern Illinois division, so the Managing Veterinarian can expect to network with and learn from peers in similar roles in veterinary clinics nearby.
The Managing Veterinarian reports directly to the NVA Illinois Division Lead.
Duties and Responsibilities
Advancing Medical Care
· Establishes medical protocols and provides appropriate training to associate doctors.
· Oversees surgical and medical cases for all doctors, ensuring positive outcomes, accurate estimates, and client communication and education.
· Answers client questions and concerns regarding medical and surgical procedures.
· Provides oversight and direction of medical standards and quality of care.
· Minimizes waste and controls costs relating to medical supplies, surgical instruments, and drug inventories
Leading Staff and Practice
· Participates in the recruiting and interviewing process for associate doctors and, when appropriate, general staff members.
· Monitors associate doctor performance and production.
· Provides mentorship, feedback, and guidance to associate doctors both in the moment and via the structured annual review process.
· Develops and monitors hospital-specific client compliance protocols and procedures.
· Participates in technician appraisal and medical counseling sessions.
· Ensures all medical staff receive applicable training, including the mentoring of new graduates.
· Supports the Hospital Manager with staff training programs and tracking CE and DVM licensure.
· Drives revenue and hospital contribution growth. Assists associate doctors in achieving agreed-upon production levels by providing clear guidance for the appropriate level of medicine and compliance by our clients.
· Manages to appropriate medical expenses; ensures pricing is appropriate and that all clients are charged for the services they receive.
· Assists in the preparation of an annual planning strategy, operating budget, and capital budget.
· Monitors, understands, and acts upon key financial reports.
Growing the Practice
· Maintains and builds the reputation of the clinic it the community; encourages positive ongoing community involvement.
· Embraces change and supports innovative programs within the hospital.
· Monitors client service, marketing, and NVA growth initiatives.
· Seeks out ways to innovate operational practices that improve the growth of the practice.
· Understands the need and opportunity to add doctors to the practice when necessary.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
· Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, or equivalent, from an accredited university.
· Licensure in good standing to practice in Illinois.
· Commitment to practicing the highest standard of medicine and upholding the veterinary code of ethics.
· Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Delegates tasks and achieves results with hospital team members.
· Makes decisions confidently and effectively.
· Leads employees by coaching, correcting, developing, and motivating them to achieve success.
· Manages time and tasks appropriately.
· Engages with NVA leadership effectively in order to drive outcomes at the clinic level.
· Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
· Although pay is dependent on the interested clinic and open positions, Managing Doctors can generally expect the following structure:
· Quarterly Leadership Incentive Bonuses tied to hospital performance and growth of hospital over previous year’s results
· Full coverage of licensing fees and insurance
· CE allowance with appropriate days off to support Generous PTO days
· Relocation bonuses offered when moving >50 miles, when necessary
· Participation in all benefits as offered by NVA (401(k), healthcare coverage, Employee Assistance Program, cell phone discounts, etc.) – details provided upon request
· All other compensation requests to be negotiated
Our staff is experienced, reliable and dedicated to superior service and care. At Forest Glen, we believe in collaboration, teamwork and providing a place for doctors to be mentored and to continue to grow, whether you are an experienced Veterinarian or recently graduated.
All interested candidates please apply online or submit your CV to email@example.com.
NVA is a leading global veterinary community of more than 1,400 veterinary hospitals and pet resorts united in the love of animals and the people who love them. Our animal care ecosystem spans the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. Rooted in a culture of compassion, innovation and collaboration, NVA champions each hospital's unique culture and provides the support and opportunities veterinary teams need to deliver exceptional care to pets and their families.